Yorkshire’s folk sisters celebrate ten years
In quiet, understated celebration of their 10th anniversary, The Unthanks release a 76 minute CD of rarities, exclusive live tracks, demos and outtakes. It is the only item available for individual purchase from The Unthanks Memory Box – a limited edition 10th anniversary box of Unthanks treasure, including this CD, a
live DVD, 3 books, a 7” single, prints, postcard and photos, all hand-finished and signed by the band. They’re almost sold out already.
Achive Treasures (2005-2015) could be described as a fan album and really illustrates how free and uninhibited the musical philosophy of The Unthanks has been over 10 years. There is no greater contrast on
the record than listening to snapshots of childhood folk clubs recordings, next to a previously unreleased live version of Robert Wyatt’s Alifib/Alifie, illustrating a bravery and willingness to weather judgement from listeners and critics with musical vocabulary and listening habits less expansive, but ultimately a readiness to believe in the universality of music and the open-mindedness of their audience.
Organised on the record in sections, the album features never-before-heard Winterset recordings, live recordings of the 10 piece Unthanks from Newcastle’s Tyne Theatre, radio session tracks, childhood folk-club snapshots, a new Christmas single, a very different work-in-progress version of Queen of Hearts, 3 years before it appeared as a single on Last, plus tracks which have previously only been available on compilation albums featuring other acts, such as crowd favourite Tar Barrel in Dale, The Beatles’s Sexy Sadie, Peter Bellamy’s Oak, Ash and Thorn and from Adrian McNally’s Harbour of Songs album, a collaboration with fellow Barnsleyite, poet Ian McMillan.
Only available direct from the band and bursting with exclusive, unreleased content, The Unthanks Memory Box will arrive hand-finished, stamped, numbered, signed and posted with the owner’s name on it. Pre-orders will leave our studio on December 7th and arrive in time for Christmas. There are 1500 copies and all but around 100 have sold as pre-orders already.
The box includes:
– The Unthanks Archive Treasures (2005-2015) A 76 minute + CD of rarities, exclusive live tracks, unreleased demos and outtakes.
– The Unthanks On Film A 90+ DVD including a feature length film of the Mount The Air tour, live from Newcastle City Hall, plus archive extras including beautiful footage from Abbey Road of Rachel Unthank & The Winterset, the Shipyards films from Horncliffe Mansion and animated single videos.
– The Unthanks Songbook A 60 page book of song words, including original handwritten cuttings from the
personal songbooks of Rachel and Becky Unthank.
– The Unthanks Kitchen At last! By popular demand of our singing weekenders, a recipe book of dishes made at The Unthanks Northumberland winter weekends.
– The Unthanks Unsung A 30 pages for you for you to start your own songbook.
– The first ever Unthanks 7” single ..featuring the only physical copies of the Christmas single, 2000 Miles and Tar Barrel in Dale.
– 2 Signed Art Prints by Becky Unthank and Natalie Rae Reed (artist for Mount the Air cover) and 2 postcards by Natalie Rae Reed
– A handful of snaps and a signed screen-printed card
* A scrap book of tour diaries and never before seen photos released next year, will complete the box. This is not included in the price of the box. *
So that’s a 70 min CD, 90 min DVD, 3 books, 2 postcards, 7″single, signed card, 2 prints and a bunch of photos…
** All for just £35! ** Pre-Order this limited edition box now at
THE 10TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR
Following a sold out, small-venue 5-piece 10th Annivesary tour this Autumn, The Unthanks play a handful of 10 piece anniversary shows, on which the band will play early Winterset material through to present day. Extra Union Chapel London and Hexham Abbey shows have been added, following early sell outs.
04 Hexham Abbey (7pm doors, 7.30pm start) SOLD OUT
04 Hexham Abbey (10pm doors, 10.30pm start) EXTRA SHOW ADDED
05 The Great British Folk Festival, Skegness
06 Unity Works, Wakefield
09 Scala, London (Standing Show)
10 Union Chapel, London SOLD OUT
11 Union Chapel, London EXTRA SHOW ADDED