Seattle punk legends ZEKE join forces with Jeff Matz of High On Fire to deliver a heavy and fiery cover of Blue Öyster Cult’s “Cities On Flame with Rock and Roll”. The song is taken from the upcoming all-star album “Dominance and Submission: A Tribute To Blue Öyster Cult”, due out January 14th on Ripple Music.
“Cities On Flames with Rock and Roll” is the very first single released by Blue Öyster Cult in 1972, also appearing on their cornerstone Columbia Records debut ‘Blue Oÿster Cult’. The song has been countlessly featured on TV shows, video games, and covered by a wide range of bands over the decades. So as one would expect from Seattle hardcore punk pillars ZEKE, this special cover of “Cities On Flames” is one raging, fire-propelled four-minute and a half of epic hard rock’n’roll. Joined by their former bandmate Jeff Matz (High On Fire), the group offers a unique and heavy rendition of the BÖC classic!
🔥 Listen to ZEKE and Jeff Matz cover “Cities On Flame”
on streaming platforms // Watch on Youtube🔥
Founded in 1967, Blue Öyster Cult are considered pioneers of occult hard rock, marking generations with timeless anthems such as “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper”, “Burnin’ for You”, “Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll” or “Godzilla”. The New York outfit has since then remained a reference act of the 70s US rock scene.
The ambitious ‘Dominance and Submission: A Tribute To Blue Öyster Cult’ album was initiated by Poison Idea’s departed drummer Steve Hanford aka Thee Slayer Hippy, in conjunction with Ian Watts of Ape Machine. The album highlights some of the finest work from the legendary band, thanks to unique contributions from Mark Lanegan, Billy Anderson, Mondo Generator, Great Electric Quest, War Cloud, Zeke, Year Of The Cobra, Ape Machine, Tony Reed (Mos Generator), Howling Giant, Quasi, Bob Balch (Fu Manchu), Jeff Matz (High On Fire), Fetish, Holy Grove and more.
It will be released in a special edition 2xLP (limited colored and classic black edition), CD and digital. Listen to the heavy cover of “Godzilla” by Howling Giant and Bob Balch (Fu Manchu) on Bandcamp.
“Dominance and Submission: A Tribute To Blue Öyster Cult”Out January 14th on Ripple Music – PREORDER
FULL TRACKLIST & LINEUP:
1. “ME 262” – Mondo Machine
2. “Flaming Telepaths” – Great Electric Quest
3. “Dominance and Submission” – Cosmo-Daemonic Telegraph Company
feat. Mark Lanegan, Nick Oliveri and Sam Coomes
4. “Godzilla” – Howling Giant feat. Bob Balch
1. “Transmaniacon MC” – Tony Reed with Thee Slayer Hippy
2. “Wings Wetted Down” – IT feat. Andrea Vidal and Billy Anderson
3. “Tattoo Vampire” – Mondo Generator with Thee Slayer Hippy
4. “Veteran of the Psychic Wars” – Ape Machine
5. “Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll” – Zeke feat. Jeff Matz
1. “Stairway to the Stars” – War Cloud feat. Janiece Gonzalez
2. “Fireworks” – Year of the Cobra with Thee Slayer Hippy
3. “7 Screaming Diz-Busters” – Fetish
4. “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” – Spindrift As Poison Idea’s drummer and producer, Hanford lived the hard road of the rock veteran. He played on two highly influential hardcore records: ‘War All The Time’ and ‘Feel The Darkness,’ and worked as a producer on indie rock projects such as Heatmiser (with Elliot Smith) and punk albums for notable names like The Hard-Ons. Following struggles with addiction and a seven-year prison sentence, he turned his life around, starting work in a music program and playing drums first in The Skull and then joining Ape Machine as drummer and producer. While on the road with Ape Machine, Steve decided to produce a tribute record to one of his favorite bands, Blue Öyster Cult.
Hanford was an accomplished and respected musician, able to round up a star-studded cast of bands for the tribute. Passing away in May of 2020, he didn’t see the project’s completion, but he completed most of the recordings, leaving Watts to gather the final pieces. All proceeds will go to Hanford’s widowed partner, Kitty Diggins. RIPPLE MUSIC links